My sister suffers from multiple dietary restrictions and I am always keeping my eye out for recipes she can eat. The problem I continually face is that I find a recipe that meets one need but not another. Such was the case with this delicious non-traditional cheesecake. I’d never made a cheesecake before and didn’t know if this recipe would be creamy or cakey – I used 15oz ricotta but also 2 1/2 cups almond meal (B is allergic to tree nuts – fail). The result is a cake-cake but a good one. It’s dense but light and perfect for after dinner dessert. The best part is no one would guess it’s gluten-free.
Gluten Free Almond Lemon Ricotta Cake
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 lemons, zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 eggs (separated and at room temperature)
- 2 1/2 cups Red Mill almond meal
- 1 container ricotta*
- 1 cup of sliced almonds
- Heat oven to 400F. Spray cheesecake pan with non-stick spray.
- Beat softened butter, 1 cup powdered sugar, vanilla extract, lemon zest and lemon juice with mixer until creamy. Continue mixing batter and add one egg yolk at a time. Add almond meal and beat to combine. Fold in ricotta.
- In a separate bowl beat egg whites and 1 cup powdered sugar until peaks are formed. Fold into cake batter.
- Pour mixutre into pan and cover with almonds. Bake for 25 minutes and remove from over to cover with aluminum foil. Return to oven for another 15-20 minutes of baking. Let cool for at least an hour.