Our neighbors had their first baby last week and I decided to bring them a meal as a welcome treat. The country is so divided and depressing, I wanted to make an effort to put some unity vibes in the universe. I hope that maybe if we all make efforts in small ways we can see big change…
I thought a lot about what to make because I don’t know what they like to eat. I considered my go-to quiche but if people don’t like eggs it’s not something you can pick around and it doesn’t taste as good heated up as it does fresh. I also considered a tuna casserole but Danny said absolutely not. I used that as a general guide that casserole in general was a no.
Finally I decided to make up a meal and it worked out nicely (and since we have a lot of the basics on hand it cost less than $10 for the entire meal – yay Trader Joe’s!).
- Marinate drumsticks (poke them with a fork or knife) in 1.5 cups buttermilk, 1TB Italian seasoning, 1 tsp cayenne and minced garlic for a couple hours.
- Put on baking sheet (non stick) and bake at 425 for 30 minutes, flip over half way.
- Boil water in large pot
- Wash golden potatoes and cut into cubes and put in a steamer
- Cover pot and cook for 30 minutes or until tender
- Move potatoes to bowl add 1/2-1 cup heavy cream, 2TB butter (both cream and butter to taste) and blend with mixer (don’t over mix or it will be sticky)
- Chop off ends of Brussels sprouts and cut in half
- Saute 1TB of oil and butter and minced garlic, add Brussels sprouts and toss
- Put lid on pot and simmer for 15 minutes or until tender.
Chocolate Chip Cookies – everyone has a go-to recipe, I tried Joanna Gaines’ for this occasion.