This weekend I made my favorite banana split cupcakes for Annecia’s graduation party. It’s a recipe I created a couple years ago but don’t make often because it makes A LOT of cupcakes! If made the right size it should make nearly 70 cupcakes. Perfect for a party but not great for a regular treat. The reason it makes so many is because I use 3 boxes of cake mix. Besides from tasting great, this recipe is also really easy and not very expensive.
Banana Split Cupcakes
Servings (60-70 cupcakes)
- 1 box chocolate cake
- 1 box strawberry cake
- 1 box banana cake
- 1 cup canola oil
- 9 eggs
- 3 cups water
- 2 14 oz whipped vanilla frosting
- 2 jars Maraschino cherries
- Nut topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare each cake mix and keep in a separate bowl.
- Scoop a generous 1/2 tablespoon of each flavor in cupcake holder. I suggest chocolate, strawberry and banana on top.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes. I made 24 cupcakes at a time for 3 rounds in the oven.
- Let cupcakes cool. Top with frosting, nuts, sprinkles and a cherry. I like to chill cupcakes so that the topping keeps its shape (hence the frost marks on the cherries).