As an Anglophile, I welcome any opportunity to celebrate the English. Conveniently someone on Pinterest shared a link for Mary Berry’s scone recipe from The Telegraph. The recipe is super simple and delicious. Danny ate at least four scones yesterday. For our breakfast I served them with Beau Bien’s strawberry hibiscus preserves and homemade whipped cream. Danny’s preferred method is warmed with drizzled honey and this morning I made a sausage breakfast sandwich.
Mary Berry’s Scones
- 1lb self-rising flour
- 2 rounded tsp baking powder
- 3oz butter
- 2oz fine sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 8oz buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425F. Spray cookie sheet with non-stick spray.
- Combine flour, baking powder and butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add sugar to dough.
- In a separate bowl mix eggs and milk. Gradually stir egg mixture into dough. Note it will be sticky.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/2 inch thickness. Use a circle cutter to stamp out scones and put on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until golden brown. Serve immediately.