It sounds crazy but a catalyst to our house hunt was the new library card at the Civic Center. I couldn’t get it renewed last year since I’m not a resident. I grew up in the city, worked at the library with Danny so my library card is a big deal. Walking around with a Northville card seems wrong and the new super cute library card had me feeling like I needed to move back to the hometown. It’s also not the only cool thing at the library either, a recent promotional video made the Late Late Show.
Not surprisingly, I’m a frequent visitor to the library. A few weeks ago, I learned about the 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten Challenge. I signed Lucas up immediately, making him the youngest participant. Since he’s finally attentive when being read to, we have started to ramp up the log and I’m planning on weekly library trips because we are going to read 1,000 DIFFERENT books.
Here are some of the books we own and read often:
- I Love You Through and Through by Caroline Jayne Church – This sweet board book says what I feel. Church’s other books are cute too.
- I Love My Dinasour by Caroline Jayne Church
- Snuggle Puppy by Sandra Boynton – Another favorite author, this board book is my favorite of hers. The song is so catchy, I sing it to Lucas even when we’re not reading.
- The Bunny Rabbit Show by Sandra Boynton
- We Belong Together by Joyce Wan
- Peep & Ducky by David Martin
- My ABCs of God Loves Me by Fiona Boon
- Sharing with Renior by Julie Merberg
- A Picnic with Monet by Julie Merberg – Monet is my favorite artist; therefore, I love the illustration. The story is a rhymn and I’m always a sucker for that in kids books.
- Dancing with Degas by Julie Merberg
- In the Garden with Van Gough by Julie Merberg – Danny’s favorite
- Dada by Jimmy Fallon
- The Going to Bed Book by Sandra Boynton
- Stop! Go! Word Bird by Jane Belk Moncure – I read Word Bird books as a kid and nicknamed Danny Word Bird soon after we started dating. He ordered this book for Mother’s Day and it reminds me of our little family.
- Word Bird Valentine by Jane Belk Moncure
- John, Paul, George & Ben by Lane Smith – This is a book I bought for myself a few years ago because it’s funny, cute and historical (i.e. a triple threat).
- Oh, The Places You’ll Go by Dr. Seuss – It’s hard to believe my Aunt Sharon has been gone for nearly 10 years. I think about her every day and love reading this book to Lucas because she used to give it as a gift and it has a wonderful message.
- Penguin on Vacation by Salina Yoon
- Winnie-the-Pooh’s Colors inspired by A. A. Milne
- Ten Tiny Toes by Caroline Jayne Church
- Danny the Duck with No Quack by Malachy Doyle – I bought this book for Danny a couple years ago because the duck is simply too cute! We also refer to Lucas as our little ducky after this picture was taken.
- Adventure of Huckleberry Finn by Jennifer Adams
- Alice in Wonderland by Jennifer Adams
- The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by Jennifer Adams
- Frankenstein by Jennifer Adams
One thought on “1,000”