A friend posted this on Facebook and I found it to be both hilarious and accurate.
We’re homebodies so our Valentine’s Day celebration will be playing the latest version of Civ while eating take out from Stache (it’s our favorite place to eat in Detroit and you must check it out). But for budget conscious couples interested in a bit more romance – here are some date ideas for downtown.
- The DIA is the best free date night if you live in Wayne, Oakland or Macomb County. They’re also open til 10pm on Friday nights and have live musical performances.
- Bring a pad of paper and color pencils to the Belle Isle Conservatory and have a sketch competition in the historic green house.
- See a show at the vintage Redford Theatre – this weekend it’s Harry Potter. With $5 ticket prices you can easily spring for concessions!
- Order a coffee and pick a French pastry at the newly opened Cannelle in Capitol Park for a night in downtown’s most picturesque neighborhood.
- Learn to feather bowl, rent a lane at Cadieux Cafe for an hour or keep it traditional and to the Garden Bowl.
- Explore the levels of John King and find a book your partner would enjoy.
- Buy some Bons, lounge inside the heated tent at Cadillac Lodge and play giant games next to the faux fireplace (it’s the perfect date idea for all ages).
- See a show at The Max. Located inside the Detroit Symphony Orchestra these events often have low cost. This weekend there’s a Dance Show ($10) and Hip-Hop 101 ($12) – get tickets in advance for lower price.
- Grab a couple slices of pizza and use the rest of your change on old-school arcade games at Pop + Offworld.
- Try your luck at MGM – $25 at the slots could provide an evening of entertainment or encourage a night of Netflix and chill.
Happy Valentine’s Day!